My life....

...The Amazing life of a Young Adult. Adventures & Escapades of a mini-socialite. Life as I know it.

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Do Guys still ask Girls out?

During my stay in Nigeria last year, I was listening to one of those radio shows where they set a question for the day and make people call in with their views. The question of the day was - WOULD YOU GO-OUT WITH A GUY THAT DOES NOT ASK YOU TO BE HIS GIRLFRIEND?

I laughed and thought, what a silly question, obviously that's definately a silly question. I mean, come on, that's so secondary school where you have to get TheQuestion, then if you dont like him, you tell him no there and then, if you like him, you tell him you'll think about it and take days in saying yes - so as to prove you are hard to get.

Story, na so babes started calling.

CALLER 1: I can never go out with a guy who doesn't ask me out. What does he think I am?
CALLER 2: Of course not, he has to ask me to be his girlfriend oh before anything.

CALLER 3: (with a fake american accent) I can't even imagine such. I can not date a guy who does not ask me out oh. He will think I am very cheap!!
CALLER 4: Don't guys always ask girls out? I have never met a guy that hasn't asked me out.

You get the gist. To my amazement, not a single person called to say yes, I would. Every caller found the situation insulting, they thought for them to date a guy without him asking them first will make them come across as cheap (Then again, they might all be lying) cos come on, these were all university girls calling, it was the university radio station I was listening to.

But seriously, if that's really the case, then girls in Nigeria have it easy. Once again in London, girls my age will be priveledged to still get TheQuestion. 80% of my relationships started with us having "something" then after many nagging and 'where's this going?' we moved to "exclusive", till eventually He starts introducing me in public as his girlfriend then I automatically & comfortably elevate myself to TheGirlfriend. Thinking about it now, I am not the only one. Though, I bet there are guys out there who do ask girls out but I usually get the - I want a serious relationship with you/ You need a boyfriend right?- lines.

Shoo, even with all my tough-cookie attitude, I came shamely say (while hiding under my bed), that I have been girlfriend to guys that never asked me out initially, not to forget the "somethings" I have had without TheQuestion, E gba mi o, shio. What has become of me oh? In Nigeria, the girls who grew up there will call me cheap/asawo without battering an eye but in London, my girls would think I have lost it and will abuse me, if I tell them I am waiting for a guy to ask me out first before I drop anything, oh yeah let's not forget I will die fighting while waiting for the guy himself to ask TheQuestion.

I guess it all balls down to the mentallity between a girl who became an adult in London and a typical Nigerian girl in Nigeria.

.......

8 Comments:

Blogger Olawunmi said...

do people still ask girls out?!!!

(actually, i know one group that does: the born-again christians, probably because the "having something" beginning doesn't apply for the celibate types)

but on the real, if you're waiting to get asked, you might be waiting till obasanjo loses weight

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting

12:15 PM  
Blogger TMinx said...

The dating etiquette is always changing. But for real thoughhhhh, the day u introduce the guy as ur man and he's like when did we agree on that???? That day would be mad.

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I am being totally honest, I have always been the type of person who took the "backseat" and waited on the guy to do the "asking out" (mind you, i reside here in the UK and have done for the past 11 yrs)...Having my older brothers always ring it in my ears as well that I must not chase any guy hasnt and doesnt help either. I am only now starting to realise that all that crap doesnt count here oh..especially when the guys here are very LIMITED...i mean, as far as i am concerned, the ratio of guys to girls in this jand will have to be..ermmm let me see...50:1 ( as in, for every guy here, there are like 50 other girls who are wanting to hook up with him too).The fact that everyone knows everyone and somewhere down the line, someone has had "something" with the guy or knows someone who has, doesnt help either.
I am not a bad looking girl myself but I have come to realise that, if you want something (especially a guy, in this jand)..u better state it and make it known to him otherwise....hmm, "u dun jones be that"...Miss D, at least all ur advice to me isnt falling on "deaf ears" eh...

3:48 PM  
Blogger Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

Like i told a certain someone that you know who - "Define exclusive because i sure dont know what the hell it means. if i aint your girlfriend we sure as hell aint exclusive". Lol. I guess he got himself together.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Biodun said...

Hmm...I wont ask a guy out directly..but I sure will hint it in some way.....all that frontin is so high skool like u said...sistas let d brotha know if ur feelin him period!

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

<<...I mean, come on, that's so secondary school where you have to get TheQuestion, then if you dont like him, you tell him no there and then, if you like him, you tell him you'll think about it and take days in saying yes - so as to prove you are hard to get>>>

Why did this remind me of my senior year. A guy asked me to be his girlfriend - we'd been talking for ages - and I said okay. I told my friends later and they almost died. Why?? Because I didn't take a week off to "think about it".

Naija babes.

4:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

lolll this is so funny, I can't remember for the life of me when last a boy asked me to be his girlfriend ... lol, I must be in your asawo/cheap club!

Maybe I'm hanging out with the wrong boys ... or maybe I'm just not 13 anymore!

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home