My life....

...The Amazing life of a Young Adult. Adventures & Escapades of a mini-socialite. Life as I know it.

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Thanks, But No Thank You

So, once again I am on MSN chatting/job hunting/looking at the things I would buy if I had money, when my friend, DangerMouse came online.

DangerMouse, is the son of one of the famous billionares in Nigeria. I met him Summer 2003 while I was in Nigeria. After so many tempting gifts including money and first-class tickets to Nigeria not to forget the baby I love you, it became clear to him that we can only be friends and that's about it. He is yet to finish university, cos he keeps stopping or getting 'cut-off' by his father, basically as his name suggests, he is danger - he is a rebel, in the words of his father. Ps- DangerMouse is barely 24 and he has a 4yr daughter. Word on the streets is that He's into governors for business, as in, he's literally into them. He changes his car every month, just for the fun of it, please note that this dude does not collect money from his parents again, as he wants to prove to his billionare father that he can make it on his own.

Anyway, he came online and we started chatting as usual. DangerMouse wanted to know how my job hunting was going etc. First he offered to give me a plane ticket to Nigeria to come and de-stress, once again I declined the tempting offer - I mean afterall I can go to Nigeria for 2weeks since I have nothing to do here, right? - sha, back to reality! Then from nowhere, DangerMouse decided to advise me, the next thing I was reading, literally knocked me off my feet and got me wondering.

Like most of my friends, DangerMouse made a suggestion, in his words, he asked me - "Have you thought about runs? Atleast you will be able to maintain your lifestyle while you are looking for a job". I was stunned, cos clearly I knew quite well what he was talking about. Runs aka 419 aka "freelancing" aka other people's money Analyst.

This is an ongoing issue, that slowly but surely it is becoming acceptable here in London and also Nigeria amongst Nigerians. I mean, there are so many guys and girls that I know of, that practice this act and even believe it is now a legal way of making money. In London, we have so many people from high class families, people who want to be respected by how much money they have and how many flashy things they can buy in a month, who practice the Runs Lifestyle. It has become a game, the less priveledged do it in order to compete/be on the same level as the Rich and the Rich do it so as to be higher!

But in this day and age, knowing/ snopping around to see if the guy you are dating is a 419 star is becoming the norm, like so what if he does?!?

Honestly, I do not have a problem with it, ONLY when these people start acting like, they have reached a level of achievement in life because of all the things they have falsely acquired.

Last summer, I met a friend of mine, Baba, we went to the same secondary school in Nigeria. Baba does not mingle with my crowd, so I was quite shocked to see him at the party. After the party was over, Baba left the club quite early, only for me to get to the front of the club and see him sitting on his ride. WHAT THE HECK? HOW? WHEN? WHY? Please bear in mind oh, that Baba is a 419 top dawg, he's their King, that 'they' all look up to. Back to his car, it was a Charcoal Black 2005 Bentley Continental GT, A BENTLEY WITH A PERSONALISED REG - HIS NAME.

Clearly, Baba has taken things too far, as in come on, my neighbour has this car in the garage and he is a footballer who makes more than £40,000+ a month.

As for Baba, he is now in prison, living another chapter of his fast life.
As for DangerMouse, thanks dear, but no thank you.

xxx




1 Comments:

Blogger Olawunmi said...

i feel you, i'm a nigerian who has decided that i would rather starve than join the "plastic surgery" aka "runs" lifestyle.

the thought of spending time at HM's pleasure just does not appeal to me, and besides, those people who raised me spent a little too much time teaching me moral values (if i catch my parents, they will know how far with their high moral standards. who do they think they are sef?)

not trying to reach, but since when did crime become so acceptable to us? and what happens when our generation becomes president?

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home